Academic Disclaimer:

This blog is a class project for my Visual Anthropology class; as such it is for educational purposes only. All photos (videos) posted here are taken by the blog author (Ana Vigueras) unless otherwise noted. If any problem with the posting of a particular photo (video) is brought to my attention, I will earnestly review the problem and review the photo if necessary

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

The Charm of Music in Tokyo

Pre-concert at Orchard Music Hall in Tokyo

After a Shamisen concet with fellow musicians

Singing with my friend at a small party (Taken with my camera by my friend昌之長田)


            Since coming to Japan I have witnessed a huge growth in the amount of live performances I have been asked to give. When I say performances I mean both live performances in public areas but also small home party singing, very impromptu and for a little bit of free entertainment. As mentioned in a previous entry, Japan has a huge karaoke industry but when coming to Tokyo I was surprised by how many non-karaoke live house opportunities there were. I wasn’t aware of Tokyo having a large musical scene other than pop idol groups so I was pleasantly surprised to see some real, non fabricated performances by regular working and passionate music enthusiasts.      
            Myself, still being an amateur, I have performed at restaurants/bars and have recently completed my first event at a jazz club. I also engage in a classical music choir. I was able to attend a classical music concert in Dogenzaka at the Orchard Hall to see my favorite conductor conduct a Japanese orchestra. I was also lucky enough to be able to see my favorite kpop idol group when they came to Tokyo. These are examples of the diversity of music that is provided in Tokyo. Tokyo is home to more than 13 million people but with a small minority percentage. Although the country is seemingly homogeneous in people, their interests and tastes in entertainment or art is a wide mixture. Finding an activity that interests you in Tokyo is something much simpler than one uninformed foreigner could expect. Not only is music charming in Tokyo, but the realization that Tokyo has an abundance of resources to offer is also a high point of Japan’s capital city.




   

No comments:

Post a Comment