Academic Disclaimer:

This blog is a class project for my Visual Anthropology class; as such it is for educational purposes only. All photos (videos) posted here are taken by the blog author (Ana Vigueras) unless otherwise noted. If any problem with the posting of a particular photo (video) is brought to my attention, I will earnestly review the problem and review the photo if necessary

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Slipper Culture--Hygiene in Japan

My own personal slippers

            First time walking into my share house, I was told to take off my shoes and come on upstairs. So I took off my sandals, left them in my designated spot then proceeded to walk upstairs. A few minutes later, while walking up more flights of stairs my house manager let out a little gasp then exclaimed “Where are your slippers!?” I hadn’t been aware that I was supposed to put any on. He seemed mildly uncomfortable but has become accustomed to me walking around the house without slippers.
            However, I have grown to like slippers. They not only keep my feet clean, but they maintain a cleanliness throughout the entire house. With 18 people sharing a five story house, it can get unhygienic especially the bathrooms. I have found that Japanese society values hygiene more so than what I had experienced in America. The Japanese I have been living tend to take a shower every night, wash their clothes several times a week, and enforce cleaning in the household. One of the main rules of my share house is to clean twice a week and we have designated cleaning managers to remind us all to do our work. The foreigners who have previously lived in the share house are more unwilling to put in the extra effort to clean our common space but after living in Japan for several months, one is able to appreciate the aesthetic and practicality of keeping one’s living space clean. It de-clutters the mind and helps to live a lengthy and more organized life. 


No comments:

Post a Comment